Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lessons

So now we're getting to the nitty gritty of the blog.  All the experts and books tell you to learn to rest when you need to rest when you've got chronic pain or illness (just in life - not in fitness).  Yeah, that's easy (not)! 
But it's so true (damn). 
I'm starting to do so much better now that I plan time in each day to rest/nap (and it takes priority no matter what is going on).  I tend to work on 100% or 0% and I push and push until I drop, then I'm out completely to recover. NO GOOD!
Now I'm recovering from being down with an infection and learning the art of pacing myself.  The cool thing is I can see an improvement every day.  Including my exercising and lifting - I'm still having an energy and ability spike each day -yeah!
What I've learned about lifting and exercising with chronic pain and illness.  Saying everything I've said about pacing and resting above - you have to work out and can't use being tired or in pain as an excuse or a reason to go light or skip (unless absolutely necessary - it takes a while to learn when this is - but hint....it's less often than you'd like).  The more I push myself (within reason) while I'm tired or in pain the greater my stamina and endurance gets.  This is a great thing when each day takes both stamina and endurance.
So, I use the rest and naps in the course of my everyday life - but I'm learning to exercise and follow the exercise plan everyday regardless of how I feel (with extreme exceptions applied).
Future blogs -
1. How to use pain as your guide when you are in pain ALL the time.
2. What kinds of cardio are good for chronic pain and illness?
3. What are the rules to follow when I want to pump iron and stay healthy and safe?

What Barb did this week for exercise:
1. Monday - Afternoon - Walked 1.25 miles, Evening  - Zumba Toning (1 hour), Walked 2 miles.
2. Tuesday - Walked 2 miles
3. Wednesday - Afternoon - Walked 1.5 miles, Evening - Taught Zumba in the Circuit (1 hour), Taught Zumba (1 hour), Weight lifting (Chest Press - bar+10lb, Chest Fly 65 lb, Back Row 45 lb, Shoulder press 12.5 lb, Biceps 17.5 lb, Triceps 12.5 lb, Shoulder Raise 10 lbs, Abs - stabilizing exercises).

No comments:

Post a Comment